Saturday, June 3, 2017

Gardening June 2!

The best time for working in the garden for me is early morning - or after dinner when it has cooled back down a little bit.  On Friday (June 2) I put in two solid hours early in the morning, deadheading, weeding, planting, watering and in general enjoying the garden.  I am going to share some photos of how things are progressing now.  First, however, is a little poem of sorts that came to mind when I sat down to have some lunch after working out there all morning and just looked at the garden out the kitchen window.  It made me happy.  

Here are my thoughts.

I hear you ask, is your garden growing?
The roses bloom.  The grass needs mowing.
The coneflowers, veronica, and thyme do thrive,
The phlox, the daisies, hosta are alive.

The bees are buzzing and the finches sing,
There is color and beauty in everything.
It's almost like walking in Eden again,
God is present here as He's always been.

* * * * *


Pretty little pink Veronica Speedwell.

Here's a very fragrant heirloom David Austin rose called Graham Thomas.


Cranesbill geranium nestled next to pygmy barberry.

 Another view of the oh-so-fragrant Graham Thomas roses.

And here is another David Austin rose - extremely sweet fragrance.  It is called Abraham Darby.  If you love roses, the David Austin roses are full, robust, fragrant and real beauties in the garden.

 The bees really like this yellow blossom.  This plant is a St. John's Wart.

Ladies' Mantle.  I should not have taken this photo at noon when the sun was blazing down on it.  This plant is so pretty in the morning when the leaves have big droplets of dew on them.   This photo doesn't do justice to the special charm of Ladies' Mantle.

This is a photo of Wally looking out the window three weeks ago when the garden was just beginning to grow.  He spends hours sitting at this window watching birds and critters scurrying around the yard!!!!  I just realized that the people who own the farm behind the fence really need to cut their grass, don't they????  It has been cut and trimmed nicely since this photo was taken!

 I will close with another early May photo of the Bleeding Hearts and an amazing ground cover called Variegatum Yellow Archangel.  This is along the west side of the house, where it gets little sun due to the position of the house and a line of trees and mini forest that keep it very cool and shady.  The Archangel , ferns, hostas and Bleeding Hearts thrive along this side.

I hope to be disciplined enough and dedicated enough to keep this blog going.  I have been so slack lately.  If I can grab my camera and document the garden as the summer progresses and share what is going on, I may be diligent and post.

Enjoy!  Blessings,
Janet

2 comments: